Before You Start Link Building
- Audit and remove bad links. A tool such as Link Detox can be useful.
- Find or create something to leverage that is link worthy. Perform outreach to facilitate a content / social strategy. The best links require editorial approval – target those links in your link acquisition efforts.
- Invest in backlink analysis tools, like SEOMoz or Majestic SEO.
Incorporate Anchor Text Diversity
A natural backlink portfolio contains an assortment of link types, pointing to your website. Focus your link strategy around these common link types:
- Brand links: Variations include: Your Domain, YourDomain.com, www.YourDomain.com, YourDomain.
- Exact-match anchor text keyword links: These anchor text links should point to the most appropriate page on the website (the one you are optimizing).
- Partial-match keyword links: It’s important not to over-optimize with exact match keywords, otherwise you could trip a phrase based filter.
- Generic Links: Like “Read More” or “Click Here.” Keep in mind that good content should fill this need with little if any work required on your part.
- Page title links: Some of your links should be the same as your page title.
Top 7 Link Building Strategies that are Penguin Approved
- Reclaim links that you already “own”:
- Use GWT to discover broken links
- Go to GWT, click on your website, then "Site health" then "Crawl Errors" in the left nav. A list of URLs and response codes will appear at the bottom of the page
- "Repair" the broken links by using a 301 redirect
- Use a copy detection and attribution service like www.tynt.com or a script such as the ones created by Adam Dimech
- According to Tynt, this automatic attribution link can drive up to 40 percent more visits to a page. Plus you get a relevant, non-anchor link.
- If your website is designed in CSS, submit it to CSS directories like CSS Mania, Best Web Gallery, or CSS Elite.
- Quality – Make certain the directory is indexed. Most quality directories are paid directories – the cost of entry is a barrier to spammers.
- Relevance – must have a suitable category for your listing
- Run a search for “donators page” and “donations page” and you will be presented with a virtual menu of options for organizations to donate to.
- Typical cost $100 - $200
- Links from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and the Chamber of Commerce are great for both link building and Trust Building.
- Consider your membership fee as a cost of doing business. Not only do you benefit from some powerful links, but you're building trust and adding a new source of local traffic
- Kristi Hines has identified 15 sites that will either automatically link back to you using information in your Twitter profile or will allow you to sign in with Twitter and add links. Here are the details.
- Title Tag
- Keywords (No one uses these anymore and you can get spam "points" for overuse on Bing, so just forget them. If you have keyword stuffed "spammy" ones, you probably want to fix those.)
When you're writing your title tag what do you need to know? Here's a quick checklist with some tips on how to write optimized title tags:
- Length: Title tags should be a maximum of 70 characters long, including spaces.
- Keyword Placement: Your most important words (keywords) need to be first in your title tag, with your least important words being last in the title tag (most to least). However, if you're working in a language that reads right-to-left, then it is reversed, and it would be least important to most important.
- Keyword Separation: Use pipes | to separate important (keyword) phrases (no commas, underscores, dashes or any other punctuation unless the keyword is written that way).
- Wording: Keep your important phrases short and simple. Leave out words that would make it read like a sentence. (e.g., and, if, but, then, etc.)
- Company Name: If your company name is not part of the important (keyword) phrases, put it at the end of the title tag; if it is part of your important words, put it as the first words in the title tag. Some SEOs will tell you to leave it out. You can leave it in for branding purposes – so people will see the brand and click. This isn't valid for all sites.
- DON'T DUPLICATE Title Tags: They must be written differently for every page. Don't mass replicate your title tags.
- Make It Relevant: Title tags must be written to be descriptive of the content on the page. (e.g., the About Page would be:
About | Important Keywords | Company Name
Important Keywords | About Us | Company Name